STS Steel, Inc. - Current Job Openings
- Interpret fabrication drawings for layout, fitting, assembly, and welding of structural assemblies.
- Measure and mark location and identification of holes, copes, hardware, and welds.
- Fit parts and assemblies to the appropriate location within specified tolerances.
- Performing high quality welding using SMAW, FCAW, and SAW processes in accordance with specified weld symbols and procedures shown on documents.
- Use distortion control techniques to keep assemblies in tolerance after welding.
- Perform oxy-fuel torch cutting of parts for assembly.
- Assist layout and fitters with assembling structural assemblies.
- Surface Preparation by means of solvent cleaning, hand tool cleaning, power tool cleaning, and abrasive shot blasting.
- Masking and preparation of parts for painting.
- Measurement of a proper mixing of a variety of coatings such as organic and inorganic zincs, epoxies, and polyurethanes.
- Application of coatings by using various techniques such as brush and roll striping, conventional (air pressure pot), and airless spraying.
- Use of both wet film gauges and dry film gauges.
- Efficient operation of production machines including computer-controlled equipment.
- Read drawings and work instructions to properly locate material for processing.
- Use overhead bridge cranes and other lifting devices to load and unload material on equipment.
- Conduct routine preventative maintenance on equipment.
- Perform quality control check of parts made by equipment.
- We have a CNC plasma table, burn table, CNC saw and punch for processing structural steel, anglemaster, drill press, Ironworker, manual shear, and a blast cabinet. The ideal candidate will learn to run all of them very efficiently.
- Analyze construction drawings and specifications to determine the scope of work required by our customer’s request for proposal (RFP).
- Use proprietary software to accumulate and price all required material and labor for a project.
- Coordinate requests for quotation to all subcontractors needed to complete the work required by our customer’s RFP.
- Prepare proposals outlining the scope of work and pricing for submittal to our customer.
- Assist in the preparation and tracking of contract change orders and subcontract agreements.
- Experience in the construction or manufacturing industry a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be highly organized and able to manage data while under time pressure.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Willingness and ability to learn new software programs.
- Honest, trustworthy, accurate, self-motivated, and dedicated to their career.
Assistant Quality Manager/Senior Structural Quality Inspector
STS Steel is looking for a senior Structural Steel Quality Inspector who can work with the Quality Manager to ensure all products are fabricated and shipped in compliance with approved contract documents. There is an opportunity for advancement to Quality Manager in the next few years as the current Quality Manager is nearing retirement.
STS Steel is a leading steel fabricator of bridges, buildings, and special structures with AISC Quality Management System certification for Buildings, Advanced Bridges, Hydraulic Structures with Fracture Critical and Sophisticated Paint Endorsements
- Perform dimensional inspections of fabricated parts.
- Perform inspection of welds, bolted connections, and painting.
- Assist in training new craftspeople.
Learn functions required to become the Quality Manager as follows:
- Assist in the maintenance of the corporate Quality Assurance Manual.
- Develop work procedures to meet quality goals.
- Develop effective quality records.
- Work effectively with outside agencies and customer representatives.
- Assist operations and engineering with defining appropriate weld procedures.
- Create and maintain W.P.S. and P.Q.R. documentation.
- Maintain N.D.E. programs and create N.D.E. procedures for project requirements.
- Monitor the training and certification of N.D.E. employees.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Required: 2-year technical degree. 4-year engineering or welding engineering degree preferred. Ten or more years’ experience in the structural steel fabrication and erection industry.
- A.W.S. – C.W.I.
- A.S.N.T. – N.D.E. Level II in Ultrasonic and Magnetic Particle Testing.
- NACE Level II or SSPC PCI Level 1
- Working knowledge of: AWS D1.1, D1.4, D1.5 and D1.8, AASHTO and AREMA
- SSPC Painting Specifications
- AISC Manual of Steel Construction; Specification for Structural Joints Using High Strength Bolts; Code of Standard Practice; Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings; Certification Standard for Steel Fabrication and Erection; and Manufacturing of Metal Components.